Tuesday, February 17, 2009

God of now

Only been close to 3 months since my last blog, I guess its suffice to say I haven't had much to say. Not even sure how many readers I have left but I like to know that I can always come back and type out some thoughts. Well, I know at least I have one loyal anonymous fan-reader who likes to accuse me of atheism, that's always pretty sweet, good to have judges out there looking out for my well-being. And the anonymous piece really helps create dialogue as well. well said.

I think the american economy and general culture of fear has taken the wind out of many sails. Daily I meet with adult students who have lost their jobs, are about to or fear its inevitable. I've been unemployed for a time in my marriage and family life and it was one of the lowest points of my life, something I'd like to never re-live. You just can't make job opportunities happen, its such a matter of timing and skills and networking. When you have mouths to feed, the feelings of letting them down is a tough master. I empathize with so many who find themselves there tonight.

I believe it is absolutely inevitable that the "stimulus" plans by the monarchy will not solve anything but help spike inflation. It is fundamentally a faulty idea not based on free markets or capitalism, but rather on short-sightedness and a lack of discipline. Humans take care of what they earn and squander what is given to them, its a very natural cycle. The problem is not a lack of money, but a lack of understanding that we are nothing without hard work as a society and money does not make itself, it is earned and saved. The Monarchy can re-elect itself over and over if people continue a sense of entitlement. It may be years of actual hard times until the sense of entitlement dies, its a filthy beast.

So in these changing times, I find comfort in these words from the Sermon on the Mount in the Message:
"Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now, and don't get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow. God will help you deal with whatever hard things come up when the time comes."


So i go to bed not entirely enthused about my work but with the sense that it needs to be done. It is what is before me and I just need to put one foot in front of the other. I'm not entitled to find my voice in this life, but I am invited to give my attention to the God of the now. That's where contentment is.

peace,

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Check in occasionally, just to see if you've posted. Enjoy when you do.

The struggle in this life -vs- Kingdom life is a rough one at times. Yet, I have in my journal Palmer's words of October 3, 2005 about "hope in the midst of hopelessness" and try to live my life in that hope (elpida).

For, I find, THAT is where the "God of now" resides.

Peace!

Timothy