Wednesday, October 13, 2004

In the words of the infamous 70's music sensation, Geroge Clinton: "WE WANT THE FUNK, GOTTA HAVE THAT FUNK!"

I've been feeling funky, but not in the hip/groovy kind of way, in the "why is my head in a haze?" kind of way. I suppose its the reason for my lack of blogging, I just having been feeling very introspective. I really feel like I could benefit from a retreat day, a day to get alone and just think/pray/read/get my inner house in order. But that day doesn't seem to be on the horizon. The weekend is packed (w/good stuff) and I can't afford to take a day off work right now. I'm not feeling empty or dry, I'm quite content and learning new stuff all the time, just feeling funky. I go into stints where my mind and heart want to contemplate deeply about issues either within me or I see around me in the world, and if I can't take the time to process it, I just have troubles functioning in the real world.

I guess here are some questions on my mind:
1) The reality of Kingdom come is all around us, but why do we still worship idols?
2) Does God still work miracles? And if so, why do I not believe it all the time?
3) Do our busy schedules and busy lives make God sad?
4) When was the last time I made room in my heart to care about starving children who have already died today somewhere on this earth?
5) How many widows (single moms) and orphans have I passed by this week that were in need?
6) God is the Creator and Sustainer of all things. Who am I that he should care?
7) Am I more American than I am Christian?
8) Is abortion the only pro-life issue Christ followers should care about?
9) Will I ever improve on the things that I am not good at?
10) Why does my heart feel sad?

peace,

1 comment:

Faith & Art said...

Dear Mr. Marshall —

We’d not met when you originally wrote this, but this morning I found one of my old blog posts from when we lived in Maryland. I wrote about finding this blog by this guy who knows my pastor and works with my sister and brother-in-law. I had to come back here and look at it (17 years later… how can that possibly be right?) because when I wrote I specifically quoted these questions you asked here.

I still appreciate that you asked them because they made an impact on my life and faith at the time. And they have an impact today, all these years later (crazy how we, as a country and individuals, are still wrestling with some of the same exact issues.)

Please give Nicki a hug for me,

Stacie Sapper