Thursday, May 18, 2006

Teaching N.T.

One of the perks of my new job is that I still get to teach as adjunct faculty, which is extra $$ but I really enjoy it. Perhaps in a few years I'll be doing it full-time again, atleast that's the plan. For now, I'm actually enjoying doing academic advising.

Last night I started teaching my next 5-week New Testament Survey course with adult learners at the college level. It is always so interesting. Some are glad to be there to go deeper in their NT knowledge. Some haven't been to church in 20 years and would prefer to keep it that way. Some have never opened a Bible and are totally intimidated at the thought of having to take this course. And, well, I love the mess that kind of diversity creates. For 5 weeks, one night a week, 4 hours a night, they have to journey with me through the NT story that I find so compelling. The Story of Jesus Christ and how He revealed what the Kingdom of God is like and how we can access it.

Last night we spent about 40 minutes just reading through the Sermon on the Mount, one teaching at a time and applying it to our lives. This teaching of Jesus is purely genius for blessed living. I could see the Spirit enlightening these truths in the hearts of each of us as we discussed them. Many of the students are outsiders to Christianity and we noted how the Gospel of Luke shows a Jesus that breaks the barriers so outsiders are invited in. Jesus is passionately pursuing his missing children. "For the Son of Man came to seek and to save what was lost." -Luke 19:10.

I enjoy teaching N.T. I might even do it for free, but don't tell the University that :)

Stop and notice the Kingdom around you today,

No comments: