Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Consume or Contemplate?

This is the Meditation for the 2nd day of the month from Celtic Daily Prayer that I try to follow. Frankly, I'm disappointed at the fractured and compartmentalized lives we live in American, suburban culture. Where do we go to comtemplate? I have work demands, and church demands (even simple church takes time and preparation), and kids in sports, and hobbies I can stress over, and people who need counsel and . . . What rythymns exist to keep our hearts and mind in check with the bigger Story? Frankly, its all that matters but we settle for far less in the day to day. Without a heart centered in Christ, my life is a disappointment. Nothing fulfills, nothing quenches my thirst . . . Where do we go to contemplate and be quiet? Being successful in any consumeristic, American entitlement kind of way is just plain fool's gold. In Christ is where there is meaning.

I am yet on a never-ending search for a New Monasticism.

Meditation for Day 2

There is a contemplative
in all of us,
almost strangled
but still alive,
who craves quiet
enjoyment of the Now,
and longs to touch
the seamless
garment of silence
which
makes whole.
Alan P. Tory

CARMELITE VOW
Let each stay in or near
their own cell
meditating, day and night
on the law of the Lord,
and vigilant in prayer,
unless otherwise employed
by the Holy Spirit.

No comments: