Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Saying No to the Golden Compass


I have gotten several forwarded emails to boycott the Golden Compass movie coming out. How it was made by an atheist author who was combatting C.S. Lewis' books and in the end its a metaphor of killing God. * * sigh * *

I'm always skeptical of the truth of these emails as it has a mob mentality of fighting a great and wicked evil. I admitt, I know nothing about this author nor the movie. However, are we so insecure that we (Christendom) can't handle an opposite viewpont of our own? Its a movie, even if my eldest daughter saw it unknowingly, would it wipe away 11 years of spiritual formation from her home? If the conclusion to a moving picture causes her to "kill God" in her mind then someone should take away my wife's and I's license to raise kids.

Seriously! This culture war is ridiculous. Do we fight consumerism, selfishness, greed, pride, lust, lying, contempt, homelessness, poverty, injustice, social epidemics, distribution of wealth, plight of orphans etc. etc. as hard as we do our culture war? All the attention to combat this movie will no doubt cuz its box office earnings to rise all the more. Legislating morality has never worked. We need living, breathing, thinking followers of Jesus who can walk amongst the muck and still follow because it is Truth, not because its our only option.

I generally oppose the culture war, in my mind, its a very small idea. Now if you want to talk subversive incarnation . . . that's a big idea.

peace to your Thanksgiving celebration,

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'll be about 2/3 of the way up, center row with the big bucket of popcorn a soder pop a wife, 4 kids in the stadium seats with lucas surround sound...

i'll let you know how it was, we have been reading the book, and i can't wait to see the movie.

Anonymous said...

Let me know when you plan to go.

site said...

Oh my god, there's a lot of helpful info above!