Tuesday, January 13, 2004

Ok, I'm beginning to feel human again. Its so encouraging to hear the ripple effects of Mayhem in the blog and email world.

We are not in the business of putting on conferences, training seminars, inspirational workshops or the like. We are not in the business of becoming a hub for all things emerging church/missional communities/simple church/organic planting/fill in the blank. We are not in the business of hiring speakers, providing multi-media resources, creating a new denominational affiliation or becoming known. We are not in the business of postmodern arrogance or deconstruction of the church. We are not in the business of top-down structures or creating Christian industry. All of these are not a big enough idea to compel us to lay our lives down for.

We are in the business of Kingdom come. We swear singular allegiance to the King who has called us out and told us to fight. We are in the business of sniffing out wherever the enemy is opposing those in the way of Jesus and kicking his ass back into the shadows of his deceit. We are in the business of connecting leaders and servants one to another. We believe that these relational networks are the bridges that the Holy Spirit is naturally and organically traveling across to accomplish his task on earth. We are in the business of encouraging leaders and communities to think local and to think neighborhood. We are in the business of believing that the future is open to being co-created with the God who has initiated relationship. We are in the business of taking responsibility for mission here on earth and believing that it entails the redemption of the whole of creation here on earth. We are in the business of thinking simple, doable, communal, monastic, missional, relational and catholic. We are in the business of embracing mystery, suffering, death to selfish ambitions and vain conceit. We are in the business of the prophetic without concern for any other audience except for the voice that has called us. We are in the business of becoming irrelevant (as Nouwen says it) in order that we can finally be free to love our neighbor.

I do not draw a sword for lands or titles. I do not put my family in harm's way of the enemy's scope for more of the same ole same ole. I unashamedly declare Revolution. I defiantly don't want to be the same. I defiantly want to plant more communities that invade enemy territory and declare Kingdom come through missional living. I defiantly want to order my life with monastic principles, discipline my body and soul with rythymns of Spirit so that I am experiencing the Kingdom and not just talking about it. I'm sure that there are more comfortable philosophies of living but I will rest when I cross over to the fullness of Kingdom reality. I am not afraid to die. I am a child of the Resurrection, death has no sting.

I cannot force you into this fight. I cannot make the decision for you. I can only declare what me and my family is commiting to.
"So now: Fear God. Worship him in total commitment. Get rid of the gods your ancestors worshipped on the far side of The River and in Egypt. You, worship God. If you decide that its a bad thing to worship God, then choose a god you'd rather serve - and do it today. Choose one of the gods your ancestors worshipped from the country beyond The River, or one of the gods of the Amorites, on whose land you're now living. As for me and my family, we'll worship God." (Joshua 24 The Message)

The War is outside of us and inside of us. I'm calling you to a Revolution. Who's in?


No comments: