Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Well, today is my 32nd birthday and I have a lot to be thankful for. I have more than a wife, but a partner for life. I have 3 kids with whom I'd rather be with than anybody else in the world. I have a place to call home and I'm in Cincy where I always wanted to settle down. I have cool computer toys and a big mean truck. I work 3 jobs to make all of this work but I enjoy each of those roles and they fit my giftedness.

But to know me is to know that I have a restless heart and today it is as restless as ever. I am not very content in a few areas that I lack the time to process and the blog world is not the best place for it. But there are atleast 3 areas of my life of which I am experiencing some profound disappointment. But, who isn't? I don't think there's anything wrong wth longing for more or desiring improvement. I admitt that underneath my laid back exterior, I am driven. I am on a mission on this side of eternity and I don't want to ever be content with anything less than Kingdom Come.

U2 says it best on my birtday, here's some lyrics of longing to experience something different from my 2nd favorite song of the lads from Ireland.

"Where The Streets Have No Name"
I wanna run, I want to hide
I wanna tear down the walls
That hold me inside.
I wanna reach out
And touch the flame
Where the streets have no name.

I wanna feel sunlight on my face.
I see the dust-cloud
Disappear without a trace.
I wanna take shelter
From the poison rain
Where the streets have no name
Where the streets have no name
Where the streets have no name.

We're still building and burning down love
Burning down love.
And when I go there
I go there with you
(It's all I can do).

The city's a flood, and our love turns to rust.
We're beaten and blown by the wind
Trampled in dust.
I'll show you a place
High on a desert plain
Where the streets have no name

So peace to your day and your areas of discontentment. But let's not whine together, let's have the courage to do something about it. What's the point in having dreams if you can't experience them?

don't forget to count your blessings,

No comments: