Monday, January 16, 2006

Justice done

It is no secret that I'm not a fan of the Steelers and that I am rooting against them, which makes me a Broncos fan now. However, let me take a moment to be fair. They not only beat the Colts, they beat the officiating crew as well. One could make an argument that there was a conspiracy on behalf of the NFL front office to have the Colts and Peyton Manning in the Super Bowl. Let me give the 3 biggies:

1) The obvious pass interference against Randle El. The DB never made a play for the ball and tackled him while the ball was on its way. It would have clinched the game all the more, but a phantom no-call.

2) 4th and 1, the Colts jump the neutral zone claiming the Steelers flinched for a false start. The replay showed that Faneca did move a bit, but wasn't called against the Steelers. The defensive line doesn't make the call, the refs do. Because no false start was called, the Colts jumped and touched the opponent over the neutral zone. That is an AUTOMATIC off-sides call. It happens in every game. Instead, the refs decided to not call anything . . . that is not an option. I'm a football freak and I have never seen that kind of no-call in my lifetime. That is inexcuseable.

3) Polamalu had a clear interception. He maintained control of the ball, had 4 points down before he got up. (elbows and knees = more than 2 feet). As he got up, he fumbled off is knee which was after his 2 feet were down under him. There certainly wasn't indisputeable evidence to overturn the call on the field. That was a HORRIBLE call.

If the Steelers lost that game, the Steelers would have had every right to protest that to the front office. And if you're a good conspiracy theorist, it was the front office giving directives to have the popular Colts in the Super Bowl to market. Instead, in the words of Manning, "the idiot kicker" shanked hard right. What a wild game.

There might not be a sexy team left in the playoffs, but this is what the NFL is all about, parity. And I love it. I want to see a Broncos vs. Carolina Super Bowl, can appreciate both of those defenses.

Ok, that's off my chest . . . phew.

No comments: