Tuesday, April 27, 2004

In Liberty House Church tonight, we watched the live DVD performances of Coldplay "Clocks" and "The Scientist" and discussed the lyrics a bit for reflection. Are we a part of the cure or a part of the disease? What is "home" to us? Where do we find it? What is the place that gives us roots and gets us out of the rat race? Nobody said it would be easy, so what can we know about it? Can we always get another try and take it back to the start? All good questions to ask. We read from Philippians 1, "There has never been the slightest doubt in my mind that the God who started this great work in you would keep at it and bring it to a flourishing finish on the very day Christ Jesus appears." I suppose if you feeling in the funk and don't see this perspective, its good to have others around you who are confident of it for you. I've always been such a big fan of the song writing of Rich Mullins. He once said, "there is music you make, and some music makes you." I think this applies. My faith is not the product of my effort, it is something that is happening to me and in me within the context of a larger Story. A Story that isn't tame, isn't scientific, isn't systematized and isn't black and white. My faith is a mystical story in which I am a character, but not the only character. I have a role in how the story goes on and ultimately will end, and yet I am not the author of this story. This story is living, it breathes, it feels, it chooses, it worships and it longs for a deep connection within His bigger Story. He started the work and he finishes the work, but he lives it with me and in me as we go. Sounds like a paradox, but welcome to the way story works. I don't want answers, I don't want to KNOW what I should do or how it will end. I just want to live and breathe its reality. I trust the author, He has been very good to me. He is truth, the only black and white I know. I long to be closer to the author this night. I want to feel His hand in mine. His touch is a part of this story, it is then that I know that I am not alone.

peace,

No comments: