Tuesday, August 02, 2005

busy, busy end of summer

Just returned from 6 days of vacation with my family and my brother-in-law's family. We went to my wife's parents' condo on a plantation/lake/country club down in Georgia outside of Atlanta. It was pretty plush and scenic and hot. Lots of pool time with the kids and tubing off the pontoon boat. Good relaxing time sandwiched in between 2 long drives there and back.

Now I'm home for 1 day before I head out of town for the next 3 days camping on Rains' land with Bean and Johnson. We will catch the Father Creech for lunch on Wednesday and brave the extreme heat in KY. I'm sure adventures will follow and there will be stories to be told. The last time we camped, it was 19 degrees, Wednesday is supposed to be 95. We seem to choose the extremes.

Reading Palmer's blog is just stunning. He's making progress physically, spirits seemed to be high but the reality of a $220K medical bill is unbelievable. There is very little I can do to help, with the exception of continued prayer and emotional support. I don't even have a spare $220 right now to give. So I've decided to go back into training for another 1/2 marathon and dedicate that to Palmer again. Running keeps me focused on the fight and gives me time to pray. I will be running with Bean at the Indy 1/2 marathon in October and then will begin my focus on training for the full Flying Pig Marathon in Cincy next Spring. That would be my first marathon and I will use it to raise funds for the Palmers again. When you don't know what to do, I suppose its best to do something. Marathon training is a huge committment, particularly for a dude my size, but it is turning into a calling with a real-life purpose. In the 95 degree heat, I started my training this morning. One phrase fills my mind in the hard times . . . "I'm running for Palmer".

stop and notice the Kingdom amongst you today,

No comments: