Friday, August 26, 2005

Did I mention I was filthy rich?

The reality of my wealth in social capital was proven yet again last night. Its been about 5 months or so since we had a full blown "fight club" meeting and it started back up last night. Rains, Canipe, Johnson and myself sipping coffee, cracking jokes and pondering on Kingdom topics. We just picked up right where we left off, that's when you know that friendship is deep. It was great to catch up. These meetings just put my life in perspective and energize my faith and leadership. It is not good to be alone, finding just one or more others that you can bear your soul with is to be sought after more than gold or silver.

George Barna is coming out with a new book in which he describes "Revolutionaries". He says he can now quantify that there is a population of 20 million Americans who have left church in order to more authentically follow Jesus. Meaning 20 million have left church but not Church. He says many of them have gone underground in spiritual mini-movements in which house churces/missional communities are one version of. He also estimates that in the next 10 years that # will double. The jury is out on why this is happening or if he's completely right in his estimations. What I do know is that he is describing me. I am not at all angry w/ church, (well atleast not anymore) but I do know that I feel at home in small missional communities and am willing to spend the rest of my life asking for God's Kingdom to come in my neighborhood.

We noted last night that the power of these spiritual mini-movements is in that they are contextual. There is not one cohesive idea or model that everyone needs to embrace. America no longer has just one culture. America is a mosaic of diverse cultures and sub-cultures and the Church should look the same. The issue is not models, the issue is the Incarnation of the Kingdom of God. Mini or mega or something in-between, figure out who you are and get about living it out. I don't have time to argue. With my time left on earth I want to invite others into the experience of Kingdom Come and take on whatever sacrifices that entails. Be the Church today.

peace,

No comments: