Sunday, April 03, 2005

Resting and Racing

We got back home @ 2:30 a.m. on Saturday morning after a horrendous drive home from Florida. We hit major traffic 3 times which added 5-6 hours to our trip. We were completely exhausted. However, we had a great vacation. 4 days at Universal Studios, 1 day at water park and 1 day at Disney World. No wonder we were exhausted. Lots of memories made and we got some good sun time as well.

I tried to rest as much as I could yesterday because this morning I ran the Cincinnati Heart Mini-Marathon which is a 15K or 9.3 miles. It was beautiful weather but within the first 2 miles I had major cramping in my right leg, I believe due to 19 hours of driving on Friday. I had to do a little walking and stop to stretch it out real good and wonder if it would loosen up at all or if I'd have to turn and walk home. By the 3rd mile, blood was flowing and I found a pain-free rythymn. There were a lot of hills on this course, in fact the whole race is up and down hills and I wasn't used to it. After 7 miles, it got to be a matter of survival. I finished as strong as I could but not in the time I was hoping for. Some days you go out to run and you just don't have it and all you can do is push through it. This was one of those days for me. I now have one month and I'm running the Flying Pig 1/2 marathon (13.1 miles). Its gonna require a good month of training for me but that all starts tommorrow. For tonight, I will rest, eat some pizza and watch the opening night of baseball cuz then its back to work.

peace,

No comments: