Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Hope and Life is our Rebellion

I'm preparing for Kate's funeral later on this morning. Its 3:45 a.m. now and I think I've slept all I can. Zach has had a fever for 2-3 days and is up w/ me. The Dr. office has been closed because of the holidays and obviously we don't have time to take him today. And in the circumstances, it makes us feel pretty uneasy having him sick for a long period of time. The coroner report is that Kate died of a sudden onset of infant pneumonia.

Last night, Ordinary Community Church had a gathering for and with Rob and Becky and it was so right. We shared hearts, we grieved, we cried, we prayed, we prophesied, we loved and we encouraged one another. God showed up in a very powerful way. We talked of the big picture of the Kingdom of God. We talked of being warriors who call back the darkness. We talked of being a people of the Resurrection with whom life and hope is our rebellion in a world of fear and death. We talked of the brokeness of our world and longed for the day when everything will be made right again. We lauged in the midst of grief. Love filled the room. I walked away feeling like a huge weight was lifted from my shoulders. I feel hopeful and ready to proclaim the Gospel of Jesus Christ today. I'm in a completely different mindset because we experienced Immanuel . . . God with us. And quite frankly, that's all we need.

Everyday we are in a war to fight against the forces of darkness that stand opposed to God's Creation and His purposes in this world. The question is, will we show up in it? Once again, I learned that the community of faith that I belong to was and is ready to suit up and bring the fight to the enemy. About five years ago, we planted this community with that dream in our hearts. We are reaping the fruits of a labor sown in love.

Call back the darkness in your community today. Live with the reality of the Kingdom that hope and life is our rebellion.

No comments: