Monday, March 01, 2004

I took my wife to the "Passion" yesterday with some others in our community (yes, somehow I've seen it twice now) and the implications of the Jesus event in history leave me a little confused. For the life of me, I can't understand how a natural progression out of his life, death, resurrection and teachings has come mainstream hierarchy, orthodox religion, mega church growth theories, health and wealth gospel, KKK, Crusades or the like. It just doesn't make sense to me. His life was so simple, humble, died to self, incredibly honest, compassionate, epitomy of integrity, servant of servants. Intellectually and spiritually, the simple monastic life is the one that seems to be the most accurate of the Jesus of Nazareth. Today's Finan reading from Celtic Daily prayer:

"The Desert Fathers' creative subversion, their simple and radical renunciation, cut powerfully through the subleties of religion and reminded ordinary people that behind all the argumentation was the simple gospel challenge: 'If anyone wants to be a follower of Mine; let him renounce himself, take up his cross and follow Me.'" (Matthew 16:24) William McNamara

Stop and notice the Kingdom today.

peace,

No comments: