Saturday, March 05, 2005

Sometimes You Can't Make it On Your Own, U2

Tough, you think you’ve got the stuff
You’re telling me and anyone
You’re hard enough

You don’t have to put up a fight
You don’t have to always be right
Let me take some of the punches
For you tonight

Listen to me now
I need to let you know
You don’t have to go it alone

The calling to be a pastor has been likened to being like a shepherd. Tonight I am absolutely heartbroken over one of my sheep. I don't know which way this person will choose. But I want them to know that they don't have to go it alone, that I will be committed to shepherding them to the very end. That I will lead them to the Good Shepherd who makes all things new. That if I smell even a hint of the wolf around, I will put my foot on its neck til it stops breathing. I'm not sure if this sheep thinks it can do it on its own, but I know they can't. I don't know if this sheep will let us carry it, but that's what it needs. Pride has been the downfall of many a person, but I don't want it on my watch. I don't know which way the sheep will choose, and it breaks my heart tonight. None of us have to go it alone, ever.

No comments: