Wednesday, March 02, 2005

"Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love. . . Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. No one has ever seen God; but if we love each other, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us." -I John 4:7-8, 11-12

I am saddened today to hear of more news of students who have chosen not to become Apprentices of Jesus because of their experiences with other "Christians". Frankly, sometimes in this Christian School atmosphere, Love takes a backseat to legalistic discipline. The message we send is "look" right, not live rightly. But that's not what upsets me. What upsets me is our lack of love. I'm not talking about mushy feeling love, I'm talking the kind of love that turns the other cheek in the midst of adversity. I'm talking about the kind of love that gladly gives up their life for another. I'm talking about the kind of love that sees no prejudice. I'm talking about the kind of love that comes from a heart that has been transformed. Dallas Willard calls it a heart that has become rennovated. Is that what Paul meant when he said to become "complete" or "mature"? This love comes out of a disciplined life of denying self. This love comes from what Nouwen calls "becoming irrelevant" so that we are finally free to love our neighbor.

A lack of extravagant love grieves my heart. May I not be today what I grieve. May the Love of God flow through me.

Stop and notice the Kingdom amongst you today,

No comments: